It’s Women’s month and this month I really wanted to inspire women, address the challenges we face and talk about things that we don’t always get to talk about. One of those things is, perhaps, “Mental Load”.
What is mental load? Kelly from MindBodyGreen says:
Mental load is a term for the invisible labor involved in managing a household and family, which typically falls on women’s shoulders.
Also sometimes referred to as “worry work” or “cognitive labor,” the mental load is about not the physical tasks but rather the overseeing of those tasks. It’s being the one in charge of having the never-ending list of to-do items constantly running in your head, remembering what needs to get done and when, delegating all the tasks to respective family members, and making sure they actually get done.
One study published in the American Sociological Review describes it as the responsibility of “anticipating needs, identifying options for filling them, making decisions, and monitoring progress.”MindBodyGreen
How can we use AI to Reduce Mental Load?
Firstly, what is AI? We know AI refers to artificial intelligence but what is the latest hype about? Well, there have been some huge steps forward in this area but what many people don’t realise is that we have been using AI all along. When you open your phone with facial recognition, when you use Social Media, when you send an email, when you do a Google search or even when you do banking or watch Netflix – you are using AI! Crazy, I know! However, we now have so much more available to us. AI that draws for us, AI that answers questions and does research, we have AI that could even write this whole blog for you (but I wouldn’t do that, you are stuck with my ramblings).
So, how can we harness this power in an ever-demanding world to reduce our Mental Load. Let me give you a step-by-step. . .
- Download an APP like ChatGPT. ChatGPT is an AI-powered language model developed by OpenAI, capable of generating human-like text based on context and past conversations. Word of warning, please don’t share personal information with any AI App, it is not your friend and your conversations are not confidential. However, this is a tool you can use to help you.
- Start a conversation. Some of the ways you can reduce mental load using AI are:
- Ask your AI Bot to put together a meal plan for you. I asked ChatGPT to put together a South African meal plan and was delighted to see local dishes included in the meal plan. You can customise this for your needs. You can even request recipes on the go or ask it to create a shopping list, the options are endless and empty your mind for more important things.
- Get your AI Bot to research a work/home project, a new car or any other information. You can ask it to provide links that you can look at later when you have time (There are a few AI apps/sites that can provide links, for example, komo.ai). This will also stop you procrastinating, as you will have all the information you need.
- Get ideas for family activities, family holidays, home schooling or just to keep the kids occupied on a rainy day. Ask your AI Bot for some ideas, specifying your needs.
- Put together a professional email while working from home. You can ask ChatGPT to put together a professional email and then just edit it as needed. Leaving you free to spend a little time with your family or get that load of washing done!
- Lastly, and one I need to use this spring, get your AI Bot to help you to put together a tailor-made fitness routine. You can specify your available time/days and brainstorm exercise options with your Bot.
- Get AI to work for you, don’t waste time on things that don’t bring you Joy. There are so many ways you can do this, I have just given you a few ideas to start you off.
As always, be safe. I love technology as a web designer and blogger, but I also am aware of the the security risks involved. Never share personal information, and always make sure you are in the app or on the website you think you are on by checking the URL or App. Let me know how you use AI to reduce Mental Load in the comments below 💕.