It’s a day for cake.
When I was a teen, I used to love making this recipe and I finally found it again. It uses Mayonnaise which keeps it moist and delicious for days – weird but it works! You can make it as a full cake with buttercream icing / cream and fruit OR what I love to do is add Smarties, Astros or Chocolate Chips into the cake mixture and create large ‘cupcakes’. This is a rich cake, which can even been eaten on its own and enjoyed. I don’t eat a lot of cake, I am more of a dessert girl but this is one cake I love.
Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 & 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F ) and grease two round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt.
- Add mayonnaise, water, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined but be careful not to overmix it.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans (or fill a large muffin pan).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, you can ice them with your favorite icing or add your favourite toppings.