6 Tips to help you stay organised
Here are a few tips to help you on your way to getting organised. Some of them are easier than others but all of them are manageable and can make a huge difference in your day-to-day life.
1. Observe where things accumulate in your home and work around that rather than trying to get your family to fit your system. For example, you may find that your children bring their drawing paper and crayons to the dinner table each day which means each day you have to tidy the table before dinner. Can you find a place for a small basket or box that can be for art materials in the kitchen? A cupboard perhaps?
2. Have a place for your house/car keys. Put them in the same place every time, it will eventually become a habit.
3. Set aside a little time, twice a week to deal with paperwork. I know many of you just groaned out loud but it doesn’t need to be a lot of time. Just 1o minutes twice a week.
4. Have a basket in every room in the house. Use it for throwing any toys in that are on the floor of that room. Every so often you can carry a basket to the play room or bedroom, returning everything to its rightful home but it means that on a day-to-day basis there is always a place in every room to put toys in when it’s all getting too much.
5. Get in the habit of cleaning out your refrigerator every time you bring home groceries. Dispose of old or inedible food and anything your family’s not going to eat.
6. And finally, ‘If in doubt, throw it out’. Don’t keep things just for the sake of keeping things. Let go of the things you don’t need so that you can make room for those you need (this is probably good advice for relationships too).
Remember, the goal of organising isn’t to make your home perfect but rather to make your life more calm and functional and allow you to have more time for yourself and your family. You can make a difference by implementing small, simple steps everyday.