Every family has a secret…ours just tastes really good! There reason why it is our secret is perhaps because it is so easy, perhaps because it is so flexible or PERHAPS BECAUSE WE LAND UP EATING THE LEFTOVERS FOR BREAKFAST (this one) but it shall be a secret no longer because I am sharing it with you and only you!
Our secret recipe is apple crumble…but not just any apple crumble. The easiest, tastiest, most-affordable, allergy-friendly apple crumble you have ever seen or tasted. Truth be told, as a child I never really cared much for apple crumble but now, when winter comes, we try not to make it too much because we just love it and it disappears!
What you will need
- 6 Granny Smith (Tart) Apples
- 2 Pears / Pink Lady Apples (optional)
- 1 Banana (optional)
- 125 ml Fruit Juice (any kind but apple juice works well)
- 30ml honey (optional)
- 1 cup Oats (optional – if allergies, replace with more flour)
- 1 cup Flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup Sugar (optional – you can also use honey here)
- 150ml Butter (melted)
- Prepare oven-proof dish and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel Apples and Pears and slice in chunky half moons.
- Place in oven-proof dish.
- Pour juice and honey over the Apples and Pears.
- Slice Banana and place on top in single layer.
- Mix oats, flour and sugar together.
- Add melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon over apple, pear and banana mix (cover evenly).
- Place in oven for about 30 minutes (or until it is bubbling and the top has browned slightly).
- Enjoy with cream, custard, ice-cream, yoghurt or even just as is.
- You don’t have to use sugar, you can make it a bit healthier but in winter we enjoy a bit of indulgence.
- As stated above, most of the ingredients are optional. You could leave out the bananas but they do give a wonderfully caramel-like taste to the dish and you could leave out the pears too.
- You could leave out the oats and use alternative flours, the recipe it very flexible and we make it differently every time we make it.
- You could make this recipe with just sugar, flour, butter and apples – so it is quite affordable too.
- It is a great recipe to throw together if you have unexpected guests.
Sorry! We forgot to take an “after” picture…we only remembered after it was finished. Have you tried our secret recipe? Tell us below!