At times these recipes were born out of having a family member with allergies, at other times they were born out of not wanting to go to the shops on cold evenings and wanting to empty the “back of the cupboard” items; whatever the reason we hope you will enjoy these recipes that we will share over the next week as much as we have.
Growing up, my mother often made Rice Pudding – this recipe reminds me of her Rice pudding.
- 1½ Cups of left-over cooked rice
- Egg replacement for two large eggs (or two large eggs)
- 2 Cups milk
- ½ Cup raisins (optional)
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl beat egg replacement and blend in sugar, vanilla essence, milk, salt, softened butter, raisins and left-over rice.
- Pour into a buttered baking tin and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.
- Bake in preheated 160° Celsius oven for 1 hour or until firm.
- Allow to Cool
- If you are using real eggs you may want reduce the amount of rice. Remember, before you cook it, it should look like oats and milk (if that makes sense).
- If you take it out and it is not quite how you like it, stick it back in the oven until just right!
- This recipe is egg-free, soya-free and wheat-free.