Learning about Colours with your Toddler
Here are some ideas for learning about colours with your toddler:
- Go on a Colour Toy Hunt! Start with crayons of each colour and have your child find toys that are the colour of each crayon.
- Sweetie Sorting! Give your child a bag of Sweets and a muffin pan or ice tray and have them fill up each of the holes with one colour.
- Race for a ribbon. This colour activity combines learning with exercise, so try it the next time the weather’s got you stuck indoors. Tie different coloured ribbons to the tops of three long-handled wooden spoons, then put the spoons in a small bucket at least 2 metres away from your child. Call out the colour of one of the ribbons and tell them to make a dash for the spoons – give them a victory hug for their effort.
- Make Rainbow Cupcakes! Make a batch of cupcakes and let your child ice each cupcake in a different colour of the rainbow.
- Water Colour Fun! Use your food colouring and create jars full of different coloured water. Put them in rainbow colour order.