This is a quick, easy and delicious recipe for winter. Adding bananas gives a sweetness to the crumble and it goes toffee-like around the edges. Top with cream for the ultimate dessert.
- 2 Granny Smith Apples – peeled and sliced
- 2 Ripe Pears – peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 Tbsp Apple Juice
- 1 Tbsp clear Honey
- 2 Bananas – sliced
- 3/4 cup plain Flour (Use wheat/gluten-free flour if you have a child with allergies)
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold Butter – chopped
- 1/2 cup soft Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (You can work around this using nuts or coconut if you have a gluten allergy, or just leave it out completely)
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Place the apples and pears in a large, shallow, ovenproof dish.
- Add the apple juice and drizzle the honey over.
- Lay the bananas on top.
To make the topping:
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
- With your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the brown sugar and oats – mix well.
- Spoon this mixture over the bananas.
- Cook for 30 – 35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and top with cream if desired.
Bananas are a good source of potassium, which the body needs for muscles to work effectively and is essential for a healthy nervous system! They are an ideal snack for growing children but some kids don’t like bananas so this is a neat way to sneak it into their diet!