Braaiing is something that as South Africans…well, we all do it. It is part of our Heritage. It can be something that unites us as a nation but it is definitely something that brings the family together. What are you doing for Heritage Day? If you are having a braai, we have a few tips and ideas.
- Keep your braai grid Clean – Rub it down with half a raw onion or half a raw lemon when the braai grid gets up to heat.
- Braaiing Boerewors – Coil the wors on a flat surface. Take two skewers (metal or wood). Push the two skewers all the way through the boerewors, at a 90-degree angle to each other. The boerewors can now easily be turned with a pair of tongs.
- Braaiing Fish – Oil your grid before cooking fish.
- Making Kebabs? – Soak wooden kebab sticks in water before using them. This will stop them from burning.
- Steak, you say… – Don’t leave your Steak on the Braai too long, take it off after about 7 minutes. Don’t turn it too quickly and too often. The steak should be at room temperature when it goes on the braai and the braai must be hot.
Happy National Braai Day!
Oh and for some great recipes and Braai ideas, visit http://www.braai.com