Turn an old shoe into a beautiful blooming planter. This is a fun activity to get your toddlers or even older kids involved in. It is “Upcycling” and it doesn’t cost much at all. In fact you may have most of the things you need right at home!
What you need:
- Old Shoe
- Potting soil
- Small bunch of annual flowers
What to do:
- Remove the lace from the shoe/boot or loosen it enough to allow the tongue to be pulled forward.
- Fill the bottom of the boot with a layer of pebbles or aqaurium gravel to provide drainage.
- Pack in a 5cm layer of potting soil.
- Fit in the root base of annual flowers (pansies, marigolds, or impatiens work well).
- Gently pack more soil around and on top of the roots.
#Tip: Remember to water the flowers regularly because, unlike those that are planted in the ground, these plants cannot draw moisture from the surrounding soil.